Saturday, June 30, 2012

Guest Entry 1!





This next entry, as I alluded to in some other posts, is a lot harder for me to write than anything prior. The problem is: I don’t remember a lot of this. I don’t have the ability to understand the chronology of the following events due to the mass amounts of medication I was on at the time. At this point, I was constantly on and off various medications and had yet to find anything to work, so the side effects included memory loss, which I had during this time.

To continue telling the story, I did the only thing I knew I could do…have my mother write it. The next few entries will be written by both my mother and I. The majority of the text will be directly from her, as it would be almost impossible for me to have any chronologically accurate information to tell. In red will be my commentary regarding the events she’s writing about. Without further ado, the continuation of my story!

In Oct 2004, Jesse is not doing well, but not at rock bottom yet. He is not in school, what should be his first year of high school, but still trying to go everyday. Some days he gets into a classroom for 5 minutes here and there, but most days he doesn’t. He instead spends time in the nurses’ office, but he tries to stay in the building as much as he can but never makes it to lunch time. The call comes to me to come pick him up. The anxiety exhausts him. He needs to sleep. But each morning he tries. He gets up and showers and walks down to the car. Sometimes he can’t even get in it. He needs to turn around. I know before he does. I see it in his face and body language. Day is done. He won’t leave the house other than doctors and trying school. Won’t go out for meals, just won’t leave the house, and eventually, won’t even leave his room. Everything is too much for him. On Oct 30th he has a stomach flu and forgets all about his Celexa that he takes daily. He just stops it but doesn’t realize it, doesn’t remember that he has forgotten it for days.  

On Nov 4th he is physically sick and very agitated and acting very strangely. He realizes that day he has not taken his pill in 5 days, and thinks he may not even have even be taking it on a regular basis before that. He can’t remember. He looks so confused. (This day is something I remember very well. It was possibly one of the scariest moments of my life. I was sitting in my room at my desk while my mother was in the shower. At that point, no one else was at home and it was just us. I was sitting in my chair at my desk, surfing the internet before getting ready. All of a sudden, I get a very faint feeling unlike the feeling I get when I have my panic attacks. My body feels numb and I fall out of my chair onto the ground. Everything is spinning and I am completely unable to get up. I yelled as loud as I could, but I knew she was in the shower. I ended up crawling out of my room to her bathroom door, and banged on it until she heard me and said something was wrong...I couldn't get up)

 I call Dr Hart, the neurologist, who says to start him back on the Celexa. Jesse worsens during the next 2 days. He is unable to make coherent sentences and is jitterier than ever. He doesn’t want me leaving the house, but doesn’t want me near him either. On Nov 7th Jesse comes to me panicked. His hands are numb and it is spreading down his arms. (Another of my finer medicine induced traumatic experiences. I remember the feeling, which I could only liken to your feet going numb after sitting on them for hours. It was one of the most intense and terrifying feelings I have had. It started at my fingers, like the feeling you get if you are hyperventilating, but I wasn't! I was breathing normally. It then slowly started traveling up and up my arms until I couldn't recognize the feeling of my own limbs.) We go to the Salem Hospital ER...it is anxiety and withdrawal from the medication. 

On Nov 22, Jesse began the generic form of Celexa, per the insurance company's request. His condition changes back to what he was like when he missed the pills within 3 days of starting them. His anxiety level is higher than ever and he can’t even leave the house to try and go to school. On Nov 29th he is the worse yet, and almost asking me to help him without saying the words, so Harv and Jesse and I spend the day at Mass General ER. (We ended up here after going to my pediatrician presenting with some of the most severe anxiety I have ever experienced. When I went, my heart rate was peaking around 130 and my physician thought I had either a thyroid issue or my condition was deteriorating. I remember laying on the exam table and being unable to sit still, my heart feeling like it would beat out of my chest at the rate it was going! The physician suggested I head to the ER immediately based purely on my symptoms and especially my heart rate)  They believe he is having a reaction to the non generic Celexa and he goes back on the real Celexa (after a doctor override for the insurance company) and the ER doctor there, a psychiatry resident named Dr blablabla decides he should also go from 30 to 40mg. (This was also a fun experience because they thought I may be under the influence of drugs so they did a tox-screen. I'm surprised with how I was when I got there they didn't pump me full of Narcan! Even while in the waiting room, I was unable to sit. I was actually walking through the halls outside of the ED waiting room, pacing outside at every chance until my mother called me to say they called my name. The symptoms are the same I used to see when working in the ER of the patients on crack cocaine or hallucinogens. To reduce the symptoms, I remember they gave me Ativan, a drug I would later use to treat my anxiety.)  He gets better, but the panic is increasing and he is not functioning well. His short term memory is disappearing. (No no...really. It went away. Remember that whole thing about not remembering this in chronological order? Yup.) He has not been able to attend school at all, makes me turn around on the car ride there (though he tries to go every day) and the school rules say if 3 weeks of school are missed in a row, he is eligible for home tutoring, 

So on Dec 16th that begins, and on the 15th he starts seeing a therapist at Salem Children’s Hospital. Neither goes well. The therapist, Renee Sacks, is having a problem diagnosing him and never sees the attacks, only the anxiety. She keeps mentioning his personality doesn't fit the mold. The sessions with her are quiet. She seems stumped, and sometimes says as much. I talk more than both of them put together, and when we leave her office, he has little memory of being there. (I actually don't remember her much at all from this. At this point my mind shut off I believe and I was just far too overwhelmed. I remember many of the faces of physicians I saw, but hers alludes me.) He is all over the room while there, his body is there, but I know his mind is not,  but Dr Sacks was recommended and I have no one else I know of to see. The home tutoring is a waste. He can’t concentrate, can’t think, can’t remember, can’t retain. The tutor, a woman, leaves and Jesse asked me hours later if she is coming today. He has no clue she was already with him for 90 minutes. She complains to me he is not concentrating, and isn’t doing his homework. I explain what his problem is many times. Why can’t anyone understand what he is going through. He can’t do anything. It’s not her fault I guess...if therapists can’t help him or see the problem, how can she? It seems if one can’t see it, that it doesn’t really exist. I am frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment